"S.D.Mechveliani" wrote:

> Suggestion for standard library:
> --------------------------------
> to remove the names              minimum(By), maximum(By)
> and to make                      min(By), max(By), gcd, lcm
> for the lists only.
> For example,
>              min [x,y],  min [x,y,x,u],  minBy compare [x,y,x,u]
>
>              gcd [4,6],  gcd [4,6,4],    gcd [4]
>
> This is for the economy of function names. Less names to recall.

Hmm.  I agree in principle with eliminating redundant functions, but
where is the line drawn?  Should we eliminate all basic functions where
there is a fold-based equivalent?  At the extreme, do we abandon (+)
because we have sum?  (*) for product?  (&&) for and?  (++) for concat?
I'm sure there are many others.  AFAIK, just about every time we have a
function in the library that can be defined in terms of fold[lr], we
also have the corresponding rudimentary function available.

Matt Harden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]