Title: RE: Where do I start ?

Rather than give advice, let me tell you how I got started and perhaps it will help.

I was a C++ and Java programmer. Then I took a class in the logic on computation, where part two was lambda calculus. Part of the class was an evaluation machine that we built manually on paper.

I just happened to be playing a bit with ML at the time, and suddenly it just sank into me deeply and I built some fairly large prototypes in ML. I used Harlequin's compiler and debugger.

Then I had something I wanted to build that needed some lazy lists. I got the GCH compiler installed on my Windows laptop and I have never looked back at ML.

I have also looked at Milner's process calculus for inspiration.

So I guess I started with theory first, then practice.

As for books, by both books recommend in one of the responses and ML for the working programmer by Paulson.

Hope that helps.

Mike