On 02-Aug-2000, Carl R. Witty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Fergus Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > The compiler hooks into GHC by translating Core into GOO
> > > and then after some source to source transformations it
> > > can spit out either C# or Java.
>
> Is there any publically available technical information on what you
> guys are talking about? I've been doing web searches, and searches on
> the Microsoft web site, and I can't find anything on GOO, IL, or
> "Common Language Specification".

Technical information about this stuff (IL, the CLS, etc.) was
included on the CDs that MS gave to the 6000-odd participants of their
recent PDC (Professional Developers Conference) in Florida last month.
So if you can find one of those, you might be in luck.  But I don't
think Microsoft have put anything about it up on the web.

GOO is not a Microsoft invention, and nor is it part of Microsoft's
.NET stuff.  GOO is an intermediate language that was, AFAIK, invented
by the Mondrian group.  It might be described in the following paper:

        Erik Meijer and Koen Claessen. The Design and Implementation of
        Mondrian. In Proc. Haskell Workshop, 1997.

--
Fergus Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.