and Arjan van IJzendoorn wrote:
> x = (3, case True of
>              True -> 4)
>
> The ')' ends the syntactic category 'tuple'

So we get all this misery just so that people can cram
things onto fewer lines?

>     let x = 2+2 in x*x

could be

> let {x = 2+2} in x*x

or

> let x = 2+2
>  in x*x

and
> x = (3, case True of
>              True -> 4
>     )

would be fine.

I'd like to see a "-fuse-simpler-layout-rule"¹ option on the
compilers. . .

  Jón

1. Why "-f" anyway? It took me ages to work out what
"-fallow-overlapping-instances" meant -- I wondered how
"fallow" could apply to overlapping instances.

--
Jón Fairbairn                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
31 Chalmers Road                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]