George Russell wrote:
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet I should also point people once again to "Functional Pearl: Implicit Configurations" by Oleg and Chung-chieh
Shan, which ingeniously uses polymorphic recursion to construct type class instances at run time. If there's a safe and sane way to add local dictionaries to the language, it's probably along those lines.

It is very ingenious to encode complex configuration information by chains of types, but
it is something I recoil from in horror.

Yes, but I think the point is that local instances make sense since you can encode them like this. And if they make sense it might be a good idea to add them to make life less encoded. :)

        -- Lennart