Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2005 16:22 schrieb Simon Marlow:

[...]

Also, GHC's optimiser currently treats (_|_ :: IO a) and (do _|_; return
()) as interchangeable, which is naughty, and people have occasionally
noticed, but the benefits can sometimes be huge.  It is this distinction
that makes it hard to optimise IO code in a Haskell compiler, though.

I think, seq should be a method of a type class. Then we could forbid applying seq to a function, we could forbid applying seq to an IO expression and we could forbid applying seq to expressions of any type with hidden implementation for which we don't want to provide bottom tests.

I agree with you.  And that is how it used to be, but then
some people didn't think that was convenient enough so now
we are stuck with a seq that (IMHO) stinks. :)

        -- Lennart