Murray Gross wrote:
> I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could provide a summary of the best
> times recently posted for Haskell Sudoku solvers so I can compare them
> with some experimental code I have.
>
> Since the Sudoku puzzle is incidental to the purpose of my code, I'd just
> like to find out whether or not my current code is working in the
> neighborhood of "the good stuff." Right now, easy puzzles go under in 4 or
> 5 seconds, evil puzzles range from about 12 seconds to just under 2
> minutes on a 650 MHz Duron.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Murray Gross

I improved the speed and strength of my solver and it finishes the 36638 puzzles of http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~gordon/sudoku17 in 3885 seconds. It can solve all but 164 without guessing, and averages greater 9 puzzles per second on a 1.33 GHz PPC Mac OS X laptop using ghc-6.4.2

Most of those puzzles (about 91.5%) are particularly simple and go especially quickly. The next 8.1% of the puzzles use more expensive deductive methods, and the remaining 0.4% do depth first guessing.

--
Chris