Brian Hulley wrote:
Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
Announcing: TextRegexLazy version 0.56
Where: Tarball from http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazy-regex
       darcs get --partial http://evenmere.org/~chrisk/trl/stable/
License : BSD, except for

Great! - Thanks for all your hard work in making this available to everyone!

DFAEngine.hs which is LGPL (derived from CTK light)

I sense some possible problems coming...

I wrote that ominous line, so I would have to agree.

[in another post]
Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
Hello Chris,

Announcing: TextRegexLazy version 0.56

your feature list is really strong! it will be great now to make it
a part of GHC standard distribution

Does the LGPL license for DFAEngine.hs use the static linking exception or not?

I am fine because I have only released my derivative modules as source.

If we want to include it in GHC, then the simplest thing to do is ask the original author, Manuel M T Chakravarty, to allow us to re-license this derived work as BSD3 compatible. ( http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/ctk/ ) It is only derived from part of the Lexer of CTKLight, and has been streamlined to be less flexible than it used to be in order to be more suitable as a regex engine. And if he does not want use to use it in GHC, then we live with 3 engines instead of 4.

On a more positive note, I note that the European Parliament voted (last year iirc) that software patents are just a lot of rubbish and are null and void in Europe so at least that's one tender bud of common sense that's managed to burst through the asphalt.

Regards, Brian.

Yes, the European Parliament finally beat back the corrupt bureaucrats that were trying to change the patent rules. But the forces of plutocracy will never give up; it will be the same fight every year or two.

--
Chris