Well, Kent Petersson and I proposed them as an addition to Haskell in 1994, so they are not that new. :)

        -- Lennart

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~sheard/papers/silly.pdf

On Oct 11, 2006, at 09:47 , Paul Hudak wrote:

Lennart Augustsson wrote:

Well, I think the GADT type definition syntax is the syntax data type definitions should have had from the start. Too bad we didn't realize it 15 years ago.
 -- Lennart

I agree! In my experience teaching Haskell, the current syntax is a bit confusing for newbies, and for years I've been telling students, "It really means this: ..." and then I write out a syntax more like GADT's.

I also think that if we had adopted this syntax from the beginning, GADT's would have been "discovered" far sooner than now.

   -Paul