On 2011-05-18 12:45, Chris Heller wrote:

The general direction is to have something that works much like the
RRULE portion of
the iCalendar (RFC 5545) specification. I have decided avoid strict
RFC compliance at
this time.

At one point I investigated a really generalised version of this, including an abstract syntax type and perhaps a way of parsing some useful subset of English expressions into it. However I got stuck on such things as

 "any day after the sixth Sunday of a month"

In order to prove that today was not such a day, it would have know that "sixth Sunday of a month" never happens. Simply searching into the past for one would never terminate. Either I would have to restrict the language, or assert the beginning of time (not necessarily a bad solution).

Anyway, a possible project for you or someone.

--
Ashley Yakeley