On Oct 18, 2005, at 12:33 AM, Philip Newton wrote:
The difference between upper-case and title-case becomes apparent with
such characters as "nj" (ASCII surrogate for U+01CC LATIN SMALL LETTER
NJ), which becomes "Nj" in title-case but "NJ" in upper-case.

So? There's lots of extra bits available. Give them 8 planes. You can have upper- lower- title- and author-case.

the letter "i" (which has two upper-case
forms, one with dot and one without, depending on the language).)

No, there's latin-letter-i which uppercases to latin-letter-I, and turkic-letter-dotted-i which uppercases to turkic-letter-dotted-I, and turkic-letter-dotless-i which uppercases to turcik-letter-dotless-I.

Well, it's not encoded that way in Unicode, but that's because of the limited imagination I already mentioned.