On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Peter da Silva wrote:

> > This way may lie madness, but what about an upload filter that
> > auto-escapes angle brackets for anything wrapped in <pre> or <code>
> > tags? Surely some of the blogging toolkits have such abilities, as
> > plugins if not as core functionality, no?
>
> What if you've got </pre> or </code> as part of the code you're
> entering? Yo may be writing about HTML.

I *did* say "this way may life madness"... :-)

Yes, there are always going to be degenerate cases like that, and no, I
don't think there's any great way around that with a simple markup. Your
suggestion has exactly the same drawback that mine does.

If you're going to use anything other than HTML, it might as well be
some variant of Wiki syntax, if only because they're all intended to be
simple and there's starting to be a lot of people that are already
comfortable with editing some dialect of WikiText.

It'll still be prone to the problem you cite here, but at least it gets
a bit less likely, and adds benefits of simplicity & familiarity...

--
Chris Devers

ÑëU›à6Q±Ruj