"H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.br...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
Sorry, I disagree. And I have never liked -h to be help.
IMHO it should be either -? or --help, and -help could be acceptable

-help can't work or you'd never be able to combine options, which is a long standing unixism for lazy people. (I'm lazy, I like it.)

-? is nasty. Not only does it look ugly but it's not even a letter. Furthermore I don't want a help option I have to escape to protect it from my shell, that's not helpful.

I'm with the original poster. I try -h then --help. If that doesn't work I wouldn't even think to use -?, I'd be onto man and strings already.

Cheers,

Martin.