On Jun 20, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Eli Naeher wrote:

1. Epiphany, I believe, is the "minimal" Gnome browser [2], forked by
parties who felt that Galeon was too bloated.  "Minimal," to me, seems
at odds with "has to open a new socket to render a Find In Page
dialog," but what do I know.

2. Remeber when Firefox was Phoenix? And it was supposed to be the
"minimal" version of Mozilla? Which was the supposed to be a
stripped-down interface to Netscape Communicator's rendering engine?
Does "minimal" now mean "does not require liquid coolant to run?"

There's an obvious evolution of software that goes something like:

alpha: Application X was bloated and crufty, and no one likes to debug, so we've written Replacement Application Y entirely in Shiny New Object language that we learned in school yesterday! This is an alpha, so window management is unstable; don't expect it to work. (400k)

beta: Windows stay where they're supposed to be now; we fixed that by writing our own widgets. (800k)

1.0: All bugs more or less fixed. Because of NUMEROUS user suggestions, we've added skins. (1M)

1.1: Lots of people were complaining about crashes and memory leaks that we couldn't fix, so we've bundled a crash reporter. (1.4M)

1.1.1: The crash reporter is now skinnable. (1.4M)

1.2: Added mail client capability. IMAP is currently sort of-working. (3M)

alpha: Application Y was bloated and crufty, etc., etc.

Pat