On 24 Oct 2006, at 03:11, Sean Conner wrote:

  apt-get, emerge, yum, ports, they're all hateful.

        GenericUnixPrompt> yum install foobar
        Sorry, I can't find that package.

What? I can't just use the generic name by which *everybody* calls it to get the latest and greatest? No no nooooo! I have to search through the
database to find the *exact* version string you compare against.

        GenericUnixPrompt> yum install foobard-stable-4.3.2.4.x86.bin

My favourite version of this hate is 'dig' on Debian, it's a popular program,
so in the fucked up crazy world i'd live in, i'd expect

        apt-get install dig

to work. but of course ...

        E: Couldn't find package dig

now I really wouldn't mind if dig wasn't the package name but someone had say
made dig an alias to the right package.

however i seem to recall that dig was part of bind and has been released under bindtools on some platform. (i'll skip the apt-get line and the inevitable
E: line).

of course its actually under dnsutils. oh and if you are looking for traceroute, don't bother looking under pingutils or netutils - traceroute is available as traceroute, you see they like to set you up good and proper before they roger
you.

G.

p.s. and lets not even go into the pain that is trying to use CPAN and a package
manager.
p.p.s. if the above leads into a 'perl sucks' thread, so help me i'll make the
culprits use more software as punishment ;-).