On Dec 29, 2006, at 4:37 AM, Abigail wrote:
The fact that there's one source tree for Perl has several not unrelated
causes: Perl is a moving target; there's no formal specification; perl
is complex, there just aren't enough people who are both willing and
knowledgable to do another implementation of Perl. There's probably also
less reason to have more than one Perl implementation than there is to
have more than one Unix implementation, or more than one C compiler.

One could point to WINE and repeat that paragraph replacing "Perl" with "Windows", and reach the conclusion that Windows is as open as Perl. And, in fact, I've run into Microsoft apologists who do make that point... and go on to argue that Microsoft is so constrained by existing applications that they're no longer in control.

I don't really consider gcc with its extensions as an open system either, for the same reason. It's entirely possible to be open source without being an open system. It may be easier for an open source system to become an open system, but it takes intent and effort to clean it up and tie it down and make that happen. If there's no will to make that happen, it won't.