This reminds me of a problem I had with a webmail provider. My observation was that they weren't reading MX records. So if you send email to host.domain.example (which has an A record but no MX ) it worked. But if you send to mail.domain.example (with only an MX record it was rejected).

They told me to ask the ISP for mail.domain.example as to why they were rejecting it. So I "spoke" to the admin of the mail server (who happens to be me) and there was no evidence of an attempt to connect.

So I tried again, watching the logs carefully. So I wrote back saying the reason the mail is not getting through is that I don't believe you are sening it to the right host.

So they said "ask the ISP for mail.domain.example why they were rejecting it"

So I said "they are not rejecting, you are trying to send to the wrong place"

So they said "ask the ISP for mail.domain.example why they were rejecting it"

So I replied - I think you need to raise this with someone in your company that understands MX records.

At which point I got <paste same reply in here> and decided to ditch the company.