On 15/04/07, Robert Rothenberg <rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip very valid specific LaTeX hate>

A more general thing - why is the LaTeX parser so braindead?

The biggest error I keep on making is mismatching my \begin and \end tags.
OK, LaTeX isn't HTML, so fair enough that it doesn't just plough on regardless
and hope for the best.  But given that the tags are named, it should be easy
enough to tell me *which* pair I screwed up... and give me a line number.

Yes, I'd like to have a big structure-is-more-important-than-presentation
smug smile on my face about how much better and easier to maintain
latex-beamer is than Powerpoint/OOo Impress, but with the parser not
being able to match pairs or be in the slightest helpful with error reporting,
I end up spending  most of my time *debugging* the bloody document.
(I do enough of that  with code, thanks).

hate,
osfameron