Abigail wrote:

Oh, it's not just merkins think the entire world is like them.

Most Europeans also think every has both a first and a last name.

That is a fair point. I had to create an account on our server for a guy from Bangalore who was listed in our coporate address book as
  Lastname:  IndianName
  Forename:  EnglishForename
But he signed his emails IndianName.

Our covention is to use AndrewB as the account name (OK for a small team, doesnt scale well corporately). My collegues said he MUST be called EnglishForename. I said I wasn't sure and I want to talk to him first to find out what he is normally called.