I have this ongoing problem with Google's spider as well.

The pages on some sites I maintain have dynamically inserted <base href=...>
elements (which is a nice trick to edit pages in a subdirectory of a test
machine and have all of the links work).

The pages also links to separate JavaScript files to save bandwidth using
<script src=...> elements.

Googlebot doesn't understand that base URL is also applied to script URLs.

So when I'm at page http://www.example.doc/something, even though base
points to "http://www.example.com/";, and the script src is
"scripts/widget.js", Googlebot looks for files in, you guessed it,
"http://www.example.doc/something/scripts/widget.js";.

I wrote to Google's technical people about this. No response.