I use Xfce as a desktop. It's one of the few desktops that actually follows
the Freedesktop.org trashcan spec [1].  Basically, trashed files are moved
into ~/.local/.Trash/files, and some metadata about the file is saved into
~/.local/.Trash/info.

Gnome doesn't follow this. Instead, files are moved into ~/.Trash.

Since I run various Gnome applications from within Xfce, when I delete a
file from within those applications, they go into Gnome's trashcan, which
Xfce's trashcan cannot see.

Even better: when I view removable media using Thunar (Xfce's file manager),
it's running Gnome's volume manager inside of it.  So if I delete files,
they go into Gnome's transhcan, not Xfce's, even though I'm using an Xfce app.

Lovely!

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications_2ftrash_2dspec