SunMC and Solaris Management Console are two very different forms of hate
that unfortunately share the same initials.

When set up correctly SunMC will tell you the manufacturing plant where an
individual DIMM in a 15K was made. Of course, it's not really necessary, but
it is fun.

On 5/31/07, Abigail <abig...@abigail.be> wrote:

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:41:00PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> My condolences. Our network group uses it exclusively to monitor remote
> routers, etc. They seem to swear by it, but they use it for braindead
tricks
> and not anything fancy, so I guess it suits them.
>
> If you want a fun toy for Unix boxes try Sun Management Center.

Right.

I used to give 'Solaris System Administrator' courses, which meant I
had to show SMC as well.

That would usually go like this:

  - "People, after the coffee break, we'll look at Sun Mangement Center".
  - I then instruct people how to start SMC.
  - We go for coffee.
  - By the time we get back, SMC is finally ready.
  - I show how utterly slow the GUI is.
  - I conclude the lesson with: "Now you know why real sysadmins use
    the command line".