* demerphq <demer...@gmail.com> [2007-08-14 17:30]:
> By doing it themselves there is no danger of having an argument
> list too long because of trying to operate on an overly long
> directory.

By "doing it themselves" you force everyone to parse the command
line on their own, which means quoting conventions and how to
deal with spaces in filenames can vary not per shell, but per
invoked program. If that's not hateful, I don't know what is.
Thankfully most programs today use the same MSFT C RTL so the
conventions don't vary as much as they could, but it was a right
pain in the bottocks during the DOS era and continued until WinXP
managed to excise the last large pockets of Win9x installs.

Regards,