On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 22:41 +0100, Smylers wrote:
> Evince is a PDF viewer.  Obviously no application should ever be hogging
> the sound device such that other apps can't play music -- but at least a
> sound-playing app has a plausible reason for why it's doing _anything_
> with the soundcard.
>
> Whereas Evince was only charged with displaying a document, something
> which it was doing reasonably well.  It hadn't made any noise.  It has
> no excuse for being the answer to the question 'what do I have to kill
> off to make sound work again?'.  That it was is hateful.

On a previous laptop, unloading the ALSA drivers would cause firefox to
crash, it appears that for some reason it was linked with the ALSA
library EVEN THOUGH IT COULD NOT AND IS NOT DESIGNED TO MAKE SOUND BY
ITSELF.

This may be a software-packager rather than direct software hate though.

/J\
--
Your religion sucks