I have recently been playing with a Vista laptop.

Yes, I know.

Anyway, Skype doesn't work on it in my sister's flat. It does work in
my flat. It's taken me days to figure out why:

  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

"Network connectivity may fail when you try to use Windows Vista
behind a firewall device"

Well it's a good thing that nobody uses firewalls or routers then, eh?

The fix is to run the following as root^Wadministrator:

  netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Now Microsoft is blaming my router's TCP implementation. That's
strange, because Linux copes fine with it. And Mac OS X. And Windows
XP. And the Wii.

See, my thinking is that the TCP stack should be ultra flexible in
order to make things work. It shouldn't break. It should work. It
shouldn't automatically tune itself for speed and have a failure mode
of broken. Tune yourself if you want but failure mode should be
working but slow. IT SHOULDN'T BREAK.

Grrr hate, Leon