I might be a bit old fashioned but I've always thought the point of
firewalls was to stop software on other computers connecting to my
computer (or network but let's not run just yet).

Symantec seems to find this rather a narrow definition and is keen to
stop software on my computer connecting to other computers. And hey,
this is windows so perhaps a bit of extra caution is required.

What is galling is being told that php has tried to connect to the
internet and has been blocked when the internet is the mysql server
running on the _same_ machine. Can you not tell the difference
between the internet and localhost? Could you just not be arsed to
make an exception?

Even more galling is the fact that there's no way to say connections
to localhost are fine so you have to allow every single program one
at a time... gah!

Struan