* Peter da Silva <pe...@taronga.com> [2007-09-29 11:40]:
> On 28-Sep-2007, at 23:23, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
>> XHTML is indeed based on XML and therefore doesn't have `</>`
>> any more than XML in general does.
>
> Then I guess that mustn't actually be enforced. What a
> surprise. :)

That's if you send the document as text/html. In that case, the
browser uses the tagsoup parser, regardless of what the document
says about itself. Usually people use the Appendix C rules from
the XHTML spec to make XHTML work with tagsoup parsing -- which
only works because it doesn't follow SGML rules. If browsers used
SGML parsers, then sending XHTML as text/html would fail.

Basically everyone who puts a "Valid XHTML!" button on their site
should really be using an "Invalid HTML 4.01!" button instead.

However, if you send the page as application/xhtml+xml, then the
browser *will* enforce XML well-formedness. Except that IE does
not understand that MIME type (or XHTML, for that matter) and
will throw up a download dialog instead of rendering the page.
So no one except fringe lunatics like me does that.

It's a giant bucket of suck, mostly because both MSFT and the W3C
have been asleep at the wheel for almost a decade. Hate.

Regards,