[I already sent this once, but I suspect Siesta has eaten it silently. I did try to change my subscription address a while ago but Siesta was... unco-operative.]

A. Pagaltzis wrote:
By "cares about similar things" I meant they pay attention to
aspects of their products that matter to me as a user of products
of that kind. At least more so than other companies of their ilk.
I think you are saying exactly what I was saying, not finding a
contradiction at all.

There's something I need that they clearly don't care about, and that
has turned me from being someone who uses Apple gear almost exclusively
into someone who gave up a brand-new shiny-shiny iMac to take a crappy
HP desktop.

That thing?

Resolution independence, or workarounds to make it less necessary.

As screen resolutions go up those design choices that seemed pretty nice
back when I had a 15" or 17" display have become so bloody tiny that I
just can't comfortably use a modern Mac any more.  Well, not one that I
can afford or convince an employer to buy, anyway.

Don't talk to me about the screen zoom or running the LCD at a
non-native resolution.  Both are stop-gap measures that can get one past
a very very short-term problem, e.g., reading a web comic.  Neither are
suitable for prolonged use.

They dropped resolution independence in Leopard after talking it up, so
we're looking at at least the end of 2008, probably mid-2009 before
there's another shot at that one.  In the meantime Macs are now useless
to me.

I'm sure Steve has excellent eyesight, so maybe I'll have to wait until
those start going before Apple will take it seriously?  A peril of such
a cult of personality.

There are many many hateful things about running Linux on a desktop, but
at least I can set the damned fonts to something I can read.

Matt