On 17-Oct-2007, at 03:02, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
Strangely RiscOS isn't completely dead just not very well
http://www.iyonix.com/

There are lots of zombie operating systems. There's even people who'll sell you what they claim is BeOS and AmigaOS running on new hardware. There's precisely four OS APIs that it's worth writing new software for:

* UNIX
* Windows
* VMS
* Whatever IBM is calling the descendants of OS/360 this week.

Of the four, UNIX gets you OSX, Linux, Windows (through compatibility layers or Microsoft's own hosted port of BSD), and VMS (through compatibility layers), and IBM mainframes (Linux on VM).

For GUIs, things are more muddled. The choices as I see them are:

* Win32
* .NET
* Qt
* Gtk
* OpenStep/Cocoa common subset
* Tk plus your scripting language of choice

Have I missed any? I guess Motif's descendants are still alive. And all of them are so hateful they make me nostalgic for the days when I was only writing code to be portable between MS-DOS, VMS, AmigaDOS, Xenix, RSX-11, ISIS, AIX (back before they quit trying to turn it into part of SAA), and Exec-1100. And the first three are trying to be OS APIs as well (yes, Windows has at least three completely separate OS APIs to choose from), which makes things even more hateful. And I had hopes, back in the early '80s, that open systems would make this kind of thing a quaint memory of the mainframe era. Sigh.