Sean Conner wrote:
>   And at this point, I don't know where to direct my hate of software---is
> it PHP and it's serious lack of database abstraction?  It's encouragement of
> shoddily written software with no pretentions of being portable?  Is it the
> SQL parsing of MySQL for making some parts optional?  Is it PostgreSQL for
> not supporting optional parts of SQL?  Is it SugarCRM itself for ignoring
> other databases?

When there's a SQL compatibility question and MySQL's involved, you can be
sure it's MySQL that's got it wrong.  They love to bolt on all sorts of
additional language extensions.

Of course, I don't blame them too much as the SQL spec(s) is bloody enormous
and doesn't make much sense in a lot of places and misses a lot of common
features.  They still don't have any standard for indexing, arguably an
implementation detail, so everyone does it differently.

And yes, hate PHP's massive jumble of undesigned functions.  PHP is just now
emerging from where Perl 4 was with it's specific interfaces for each database
(oraperl, syperl, etc...)... 13 years ago.  If they continue to follow Perl's
pattern of maturing it'll be about 2015 before they really get it right.

--
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.