Turns out there's a couple of *nix packages for detecting what network you
are in and configuring your system appropriately.

One of them is "whereami".  A few brief bits of hate to hurl it after
spending a few hours trying to get it to work (unsuccessfully):

- It has its very own scripting language, well, a few commands and if
statements. Still, I'd rather they just provided some shell commands and let
me write a detection script in a preferred less-hateful language.

This is some general hate that can be lobbed at many programs. Why assume
sysadmins can't handle reading a manual on some API and hack together some
scripts in perl|python|ruby|tcl|whatever and instead give a manual for a
crippled subset of a shell script.

- There's a bug in the wireless detection command makes it difficult to be
in both wireless and wired networks at the same time (this seems verified by
the kinds of examples people post in forums on how to use it: if wired
detection fails, try wireless).

- It seems to be run at several stages in /etc/init.d, in network interfaces
pre-up stage, and in dhcp3-exit stage--- this is due to it's confused
purpose: detecting which network you are in so as to configure your network,
and detecting which network you are in so as to configure other things
(which already require the network to be configured); there should be two
kinds of configuration scripts for this.

- If I boot up or resume without a wired conneciton, it still leaves the
wired device up even though it has no connection--- since it's the default,
my network hiccups unless I put a kluge in that tells it to put down the
wired interface if it's unplugged; without whereami, this isn't a problem.

- I have to manually export location information into environment variables
if I want other programs to use this information later

- Not really a hate: The ability to run /home/$USER/.whereami as each $USER
would be nice, but probably opens up some potential security holes; it's
just as easy to add a "sudo -u user sh /home/user/.whereami" command anyhow.

And for some related hate to throw at some other pieces of software (I'm
thinking of Thunderbird at the moment):

- The lack of a command-line interface to customise user preferences in some
programs means that I have to write my own scripts to muddle with
user-preferences and configuration (not a good thing if resuming from sleep
with the said programs already running).

Grrr. I want the lost hours of my life back.

Rob