On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:56:40 +0100, "Philip Newton" <philip.new...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008 11:48 AM, Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net> wrote:
> > You know what I hate?  I hate the way that people keep coming back to
> > the idea of some sort of "make the filesystem a database" magic.
> >
> > You know what that would look like?  MySQL.  Oh, yeah, for sure, because
> > people don't want their file storage telling them that they can't delete
> > or rename a file for whatever reason.
>
> They don't? Then why do they use Windows?
>
> "Cannot delete this file; another application has it open".
>
> And I recently managed to get a file deleted(?) in such a hateful way
> that it is now impossible to create a new directory entry in that
> position with that name. So it's sort of gone (I can't see it any
> more) but not completely (I can't create a new file with that name).

Doesn't that have to do with the hidden files system attributes that
windows uses? I have faint deja-vu feelings and remembrance that
SysInternals had a utility for it to `fix' it.

Lots of links for this here:
http://www.mcse.ms/message1927853.htm

--
H.Merijn Brand         Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,