Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
Why is installing mysql the fun equivalent of picking a zit in your back?
It shouldn't be there, you need to do it because it hurts like a damn,
but you can't quite reach it, and you fail in mysterious ways, and shouldn't
science have progressed far enough by now to now to have to do it?

I installed MediaWiki to my Mac last night since I want to try writing something
that quite well fits the wiki hyperlinkage model, and I sure as hell
don't want to
write raw HTML this day and age... I found this:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Mac_OS_X

Notice the roughly 27 easy steps of installing mysql.

I don't think it's that mysql in OS X in particular, from my past (unfortunately
forgotten by now) experience in other UNIXes it was equally painful.  Why do I
*always* have to disable remote and local (myql) root access and setup
passwords?
Storing the access rights of a database *IN THE DATABASE*?  Please,
just shoot me.

See also:

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/11/11/installing-mysql-on-ubuntu

Rory McCann