On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:55:52PM +0000, Struan Donald wrote:
> Short version: Thunderbird + IMAP + Exchange = hate.

It's been two hours -- I'm stunned that this thread hasn't been
drowned in a chorus ammending your complaint to "IMAP + Exchange == hate".

Or even "Exchange == hate", but that's axiomatic^Wfor another thread.

What I love to hate about Exchange, now that it's delightful habit of
lying to IMAP clients[1] has been largely fixed, is it's delightful
habit of closing the IMAP channel if you happen to be reading the
index when a new message comes in.

Combine this fault with a postmaster bounce mailbox of 25K+ messages
at a busy site, and it's damn near impossible to get _anything_ done,
let alone delete old messages.

[1] Older versions of exchange -- pre-2000, I believe -- reported the
    message size as it resided in the store to requesting clients.
    However the joke was on the client, because the store was
    compressed.  So if your client stopped reading the message once
    the advertised number of bytes passed by, you usually didn't get
    the end of the message.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |