On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Jeremy Stephens wrote:

> I found myself needing to run awk on all the lines of a text file
> except the first one.  So I look at some man pages.  It turns out
> that head will accept negative numbers, but tail won't.  At least in
> my Ubuntu Gutsy installation it won't.

I've long used

        tail +2 file | awk '...'

for that sort of thing, but, alas, GNU tail now warns

    tail: Warning: "+number" syntax is deprecated, please use "-n +number"

Of course, that syntax doesn't work with Solaris's default tail. So now I
have to switch based on `uname`.  What fun.  I really do enjoy rewriting
scripts that have worked for 20 years.

--
    Andy Dougherty              dough...@lafayette.edu