Abigail wrote:
A few days ago, I bought a new digital camera, a Canon. (Don't have
it long enought to hate it).

You can't simply mount its storage as a (usb) disc, but luckely, gphoto2
can connect to the camera and extract the images.

Whoa! Are you sure? All cannon's for the past decade or so can mount as a USB disk. Reading this I'm gussing yer using linux (as I do). It might be necessary to turn off whatever its automatically launching to "handle" the cammera? - and let the OS mount the USB disk on it. It should /not/ be necessary to tweak udev. Anyway, watch dmesg for d'messages and you should see the device when you plug it in. Mounting it should be easy.