I have a Gnumeric spreadsheet with a graph in it.  I get a new computer,
which happens to be running a more recent version of Gnumeric, and copy
my home directory to it.  I open up my spreadsheet.

The graph's gone!  Hateful!  It still has a title, axes, and so on, but
there's a big white space where my data used to be.

Double-clicking the graph and looking at the options I can't even see
where one could specify what the data should be.  Odd.

Eventually I give up, thinking I'll create a new spreadsheet and insert
a chart on that, then perhaps copy the data over.  'Insert' > 'Chart...'
brings up a dialogue box entitled 'Select Chart Type'.  There's a list
at the left headed 'Plot type'.  The list is empty.  Hateful!

So, somehow this version of Gnumeric doesn't have any graph types
defined -- yet it still displays the useless dialogue box, pretending I
can pick one.  Hateful!

Perhaps graphs type definitions are now separate.  Hmmm, Ubuntu has a
gnumeric-plugins-extra extra package; let's try that.  Nope, no
difference.

I can't be the only one suffering this.  Let's try Googling.  Ah, graphs
are indeed plug-ins, and 'Tools' > 'Plug-ins...' is the place to go to
configure them.  But that's greyed out.  Hateful!  I click on an empty
cell, and the menu item is now available.  But, really, why on earth
does having a chart selected mean I can't manage plug-ins?

I see there's a bunch of charting plug-ins, so I activate them.  I can
see the logic in moving this functionality into plug-ins, but why
weren't plug-ins for former-core features activated by default?
Hateful!

Oh, it turns out that actually for new users such plug-ins _are_
activated by default.  It's just that I copied my home directory --
including my Gnumeric config, it seems -- from an older version.  And
part of that config was my list of active plug-ins!

THEY MOVED CORE FUNCTIONALITY INTO A PLUG-IN AND THEN DECIDE WHETHER TO
ENABLE THAT PLUG-IN ON THE BASIS OF WHETHER I'VE PREVIOUSLY ENABLED THAT
PLUG-IN THAT THEY'VE JUST MADE UP!  Hateful doesn't cover it.

When I opened the document with a graph surely Gnumeric could notice it
needs a plug-in?

Or the interfacing for enabling graph-releated plug-ins could be in the
dialogue boxes for selecting the types of new or existing graphs?

Or at least those dialogue boxes could mention where to go to enable
plug-ins?

Or at least they could do that if currently no chart plug-ins are
enabled?  Because if graphs require plug-ins to be enabled, what bigger
clue that the user wants to use them could there possibly be than
choosing the 'insert graph' feature?  Do they actually expect there is
_anybody at all_ who when presented with an empty list of chart types
wants to do anything other than enable a chart plug-in or two?  Really?

But that isn't the end of it.  Because enabling the plug-in doesn't
actually make the chart appear, oh no.  For that I have to re-open the
document.  Hateful!

Smylers