'"Foo" is an application which was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?'

I seriously hate this error message in Mac OS X 10.5. I know I downloaded it. I don't give a damn what you, the OS, thinks about it. Just open it, dammit.

Yes, I know that some people don't know what the hell they are doing. But this is primarily caused by Safari having the DEFAULT of unpacking downloaded files, so in theory, someone's browser could automatically download something, automatically unpack it or mount it as a disk image, and then it could be automatically run.

I get it.

But here's the thing: I turn off your stupid default, and unpack/mount things manually. So why should I be subjected to your weak attempt to idiot-proof your own misfeature?

And sometimes, this warning message is even placed on *plain text files I open in a text editor.* No kidding. It fills me with teh hate.

--
Chris Nandor             pu...@pobox.com             http://pudge.net/
Slashdot / SourceForge   pu...@slashdot.org       http://slashdot.org/