On Mar 24, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Phil Pennock wrote:

On 2008-03-24 at 07:26 -0700, Joshua Juran wrote:
A desktop application can download mail or news batch- wise for offline viewing, but a Web app can't, except for what it can cram into the
browser session -- it can't automatically save anything to disk.

Not true any longer.  Whether or not this is a good thing, I leave to
you to decide. ;^) Also: only in the, uhm, "fuller" graphical browsers.

Exactly my point. The whole premise of Web development's superiority over the desktop is that it's platform independent -- you don't have to build for every device you want to support. But any plugins you rely on have to be built and deployed for each device, canceling the advantage. Now you have the limited portability of a desktop app with the security-mandated restraints of a Web app.

It's time we realized that Web applications are not hypertext documents, and actually created a system which was *designed* to deliver them. As long as we're forcing users to install extra software anyway, why bottleneck everything through the Web browser? Because we've always done it that way?

Josh