On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:48 AM, Dave Brown <dagbr...@lart.ca> wrote:

> No, it's full of hate.
>
> Python there is saying, "I know what you wanted to do.  I know *exactly*
> what you wanted to do.  But you have to conform to EXACTLY HOW I WANT
> YOU TO DO IT before I'll actually do what I can obviously tell you want
> to do."

Yes, that is precisely it.

I don't expect software generally to DWIM and I certainly don't expect
it of programming language environments.

But Python *has* decided to be DWIM-ish here and has gone to the
effort to specially handle this common case. Yet rather than handling
it by doing what the user clearly wants to do the designers have
chosen to admonish the user with the gratuitous equivalent of "Ha ha,
you didn't say Simon Says!" Hatefully.

--Eli