Rockbox is an alternative firmware/OS/UI for MP3 players, mostly iPods
and Archoses. Given that my wife has various demands of an MP3 player
that aren't met by our iPod's Steve-given interface, I thought I'd try
it out.

Note: I have not got as far as actually installing anything yet. I am
already having doubts, based on their packaging.

The firmware and associated files come down in a single ZIP file,
which somehow ended up on my Mac's Desktop despite Firefox's download
settings explicitly telling it to download to my Downloads folder. (I
can't send a hates-software mail of any kind without a Firefox
mini-hate in there somewhere)

The ZIP file was auto-unpacked by Firefox too, which is always great,
because it usually means I have exploded files all over my desktop
with their own creation dates giving them no easy way to sort them
from the rest. Not in this particular case, however: I couldn't see
any unpacked files at all. Tried again - progress bar flashes a bunch
of filenames too fast for me to read them, and once again I see
nothing on the desktop.

After a few more experiments and resorting to the command line, the
truth is revealed: rockbox.zip expands to create a ".rockbox" folder.
Yes, there's a dot at the start there. Someone thought that what you
really want from an installation package is less visibility.

I'm not sure I want to install it now.

-- Yoz