* Matthew King <matthew.k...@monnsta.net> [2008-09-04T12:38:09]
> Every site which does this.
> Please die.
> My server will tell you if my email address is invalid, which it is not.

There's nothing wrong with it, as long as you get it *right*.  That means at
least two parts: don't accept anything that is not actually valid, don't accept
anything that you yourself can't route.  If your piece-of-shit server won't be
able to send a confirmation message to !?!...@wtf.com, don't accept it.  (In
that case, though, an error more apologetic than "YOUR EMAIL NOT VALIDY" is in
order.)

If you accept invalid emails, though, you end up creating resources (users,
generally) that you can't contact or verify or reset passwords for, and
eventually just nuke after X days anyway.  It's a lot easier to just reject
them as early as possible.

Sorry, why am I defending anything?

I can't wait until email gets replaced by something sane.  Like Twitter.

--
rjbs