Darrell Fuhriman wrote:
>> So you've mainly abandoned Perl for Ruby but you decided to pop a shot
>> at Perl anyway - and it turned out to be Ruby's fault? :)
>
> Well, it's partially my fault for not checking my quoting (hardly unique
> to ruby). But why should "actual-carriage-return{1}actual-newline{1}"
> work differently from "actual-carriage-returnactual-newline" in a regex?

They shouldn't, and they don't.

What I suspect we have here is the "but I didn't change anything!" problem.
The user protests that they tried it once and it didn't work and they tried it
again and now it does work and "they didn't change a thing!" and only after
some grilling do they finally admit "oh, I changed X and Y and Z but that
couldn't possibly be important!"

> That's all perl.  :)

No, it's all you big guy.

PEBKAC.

--
Look at me talking when there's science to do.
When I look out there it makes me glad I'm not you.