Denny writes:
> The reason reply-to munging is more often useful than harmful, is
> that people more often wish to continue list discussions on the list

Though when it *is* harmful, the consequences are potentially
catastrophic.

If you think you're speaking in public but you're really speaking in
private, no big deal.  On the other hand, if you think you're speaking
in private and you're really speaking in public, the sky's the limit.
I'm sure we've all seen job adverts with on-list replies that say
things like "I'm interested, but please don't say that to my current
employer".

(That sort of oops is the reason I have a policy of never writing down
anything that would cause me problems if published.  Not everyone is
so paranoid; I think that's their failing rather than mine, but maybe
I only think that 'cos I'm paranoid.)

I don't see an answer to the reply-to-munging question that
simultaneously satisfies everyone.  Not even using list software that
makes this a per-user preference; that just moves the question to
which way it should be defaulted.

I think it comes down to whether you're willing to trade occasional
disaster for day-to-day convenience.  As the sociologists say: some
do, some don't.

ObSoftwareHate: Apache configuration syntax checking

Apache has a mode in which it checks the syntax of your configuration
file, so you can test whether your new config works before you actually
try to use it.  But the syntax checker doesn't bother checking whether
the directories containing your log files exist; and Apache won't
auto-create the directories as needed either.

So the syntax checker sometimes[*] says "yes, yes, that's fine" on a
config file that really can't be used as-is.  Then when you tell an
existing daemon to reload its config, it'll die because it can't
create its logs.  Hate!

I've tried to fix this, but Apache policy is that you have to use APR
for interacting with the filesystem, and it's non-trivial to find
enough APR documentation to work out how to answer the question "does
the directory containing this file exist?".  Double super bonus hate!

[*] For "sometimes" here, read "almost every time you add or move a
log file".

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/