OK, I never really had to deal with RPM internals before, but it behaved like an oddball packaging format with some kind of binary header, so I assumed that's what it was... but no. It appears that the only supported way to build an RPM is by having an actual installer, RUNNING it, and having RPM pluck the result out of the system where you put it... at least that's what RPMbuild looks like it's doing. You can't just create a spec file and a directory tree that contains what you're going to package up, and say "OK, make an RPM out of the stuff in this directory".

And you can't even make it do the work in a custom directory without changing a magic dotfile in your home directory. So if you want to make an automated RPM build process that's running on a shared build server, you can't do it when anyone else is using the thing.

What kind of idiot would consider this hateful mess even vaguely a good idea?