Luke Kanies wrote:

> I've always wondered about this; there must be some sort of
> "thinks-like-bsd" gene, afaict, because you either love it or hate it.

It's not genetics, it's experience.

> In my experience, it's nearly impossible to write software that
> manages *bsd packages;

That's interesting. There's a LOT of software here that manages packages
on over 200,000 BSD machines.
Yes, I wrote that correctly - 200,000. It's all auto-magic, as it has to
be, of course. The BSD package is the least of our worries.

> I've got support for 25 or so package types in Puppet, and the ports
> support is the only one that I can't get to work correctly, nor has
> anyone else who's tried. I think the current problem is that it will
> try to upgrade when it shouldn't but I don't really remember any more.
> I just know that I've wasted weeks of my life trying to get
> consistent, desired behaviour from ports, and I couldn't do it.[1]

> The specific problem I remember was never being able to get it to
> ignore the source ports tree when checking for a new compiled package
Huh?

RPM. Dear god, I suppose it's consistent because you can just about
guarantee that it will work within its limited functionality, and when
it get cocked-up it consistently fails.

> So, hateful depends on context, and for me, if I can't wrap your
> software in my own software, it's hateful.
> 1 - If you're convinced I'm just stupid and that it's wicked-easy to
> get consistent behaviour, I challenge you to do so. You would make
> *many* bsd Puppet users happy.
Not stupid, we all have different perspectives and experiences. I have
no idea what puppet is.