"Let's make our system have better bogomips by using fork() ! We can
start multiple things at once for a faster boottime so we can play
quake!" So that's neat, so then they have to develop two more hacks on
top of it to allow for dependencies in startup scripts, adding
complexity and gaining a few moments of boot time.

FreeBSD has a dependency-based startup too, but *only for the scripts that have the special comments in them*. The rest are deferred until after the dependency-based startups are done.