On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 01:02:27AM +0100, b...@cpan.org wrote:
> Dear SVN,
>
> You claim to record history, but you really only live in the present.
>
> Let me create a file and remove it:

[somewhat edited/snipped:]
>     $ svn checkout file:///tmp/zlonk/
>     $ svn add bam
>     $ svn commit -m "bam: checking in" bam
>     Committed revision 1.
>     $ svn rm bam
>     $ svn commit -m "I don't like you anymore, bam" bam
>     Committed revision 2.
>
> Ah, memories... What did that file look like, already?
>
>     $ svn cat -r 1 bam
>     svn: warning: 'bam' is not under version control
>
> But SVN, it was there, in your history, look!

Right, it was there, and the repository knows about it, but it is NOT
there in rev. 2 of SVN's view of the world.  To make SVN see it, you
need to ask explicitly for it *at an older time* using a peg revision.

$ svn cat file:///tmp/zlonk/b...@1
foo
$

Okay, so I shortened your "bam" file a bit :)

Frankly, I am a bit new to using peg revisions myself, and I am a bit
surprised that this wasn't spelled simply "svn cat -r1 b...@1", but
it had to have the full repo path instead.  Maybe someone with a bit
more peg-revision-fu could chime in and elaborate.

And yes, this post might contain a snippet of what looks like UI,
but I do believe that the need to give the full repo URL still
keeps the post on-topic for this list :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  r...@ringlet.net    r...@space.bg    r...@freebsd.org
Key fingerprint FDBA FD79 C26F 3C51 C95E  DF9E ED18 B68D 1619 4553