Somewhere on Shadow Earth, at Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:38:40AM -0700, Aaron J.
Grier wrote:
> > Your email client cannot read this email.
>
> I most certainly can, but I prefer reading text/plain where available.
> why do you waste my time like this?  why do you even bother sending a
> text/plain part?  why not send straight HTML with text/html and don't
> even bother with multipart/alternative.
>
> but I'm pissing in the wind here.
>
> at least I never have to suffer comic sans.

Reminds me of a hate I wrote a ways back, which does not appear to be on
my hates-software blog page. So here it is:

Dear evil mailer (I don't know what mailer, as you are too cowardly to add
an X-Mailer header to the messages you create):

RFC 2046 is your friend. Read it, and understand the difference between
multipart/alternative and multipart/mixed. When you send a message like the
following:

Your email program does not support HTML. To view an online version of this
email, please click the link below.

which is followed by an HTML version of of the actual mail, THAT is NOT ACTUALLY
multipart/alternative. multipart/alternative is only for messages where each
part is simply an alternative format for the same basic content! The type you
want is multipart/mixed. If you could get this right, my mail client, which has
been told to ignore HTML mail in multipart/alternative messages (since HTML mail
is a whole 'nother hate), would correctly use lynx to display your HTML message
correctly to me. Instead, I generally don't bother to read the mail you created,
as I can't be bothered to either click the link, or view parts to get to the
HTML part. Honestly, if you can't be bothered, why should I?

Die, you evil software, DIE!

--
Timothy Knox <mailto:t...@thelbane.com>
The problem is that once you have done away with the ability to make