Smylers <smyl...@stripey.com> writes:

> Oh, that's because Ubuntu bundle the config to turn on name-based
> virtual hosting, a directive that only needs setting once on the server,
> into the top of a config file which supposedly only configures one
> virtual host:
>

> http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/apache2/apache2-common_2.0.55-4ubuntu2.5_i386.deb/etc/apache2/sites-available/default?extract=true
>
> So there's this nice infrastructure for enabling sites separately ...
> completely undermined by one of them containing necessary server-wide
> config.  Nice one, Ubuntu.

I believe this was how Debian did it originally. That didn't last long
when people realised it was dumb. And hateful. That Ubuntu still haven't
imported such a simple patch is.... well is typically Ubuntu afaict.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely